TSA Security and Airport Identification

What ID is Required?

You know how important identification is in traveling. If you don’t have an accurate ID that matches the same information as your airplane ticket, TSA security are not going to just let you walk through but what exactly counts as ID? And how many of you need it?

As an adult, you’ll need either a valid passport or a state approved photo identification card. If you’re traveling internationally, you’ll need a passport valid for at least six months past the date of travel. For travel within the United States and portions of the Caribbean you’ll need either a valid driver’s license or a state ID card. For travel to Mexico and Canada a passport is preferred, but a valid photo ID and a certified birth certificate will also do the trick.

Passports can take up to six weeks to process, so plan ahead when traveling abroad. Passport facilities can include your local post office, courthouse, and certain travel agencies or libraries. Check with the U.S. Department of State for a listing of participating facilities nearest you. To process your passport, you’ll need two passport sized photos, proof of U.S. citizenship and a valid photo ID.

For a driver’s license or a state identification card, you’ll need several documents showing proof of citizenship, your social security card and a birth certificate or certificate of citizenship. The exact requirements will vary by state, so you’ll want to check with your local DMV for a list of accepted forms of identification or proofs of residency. Check below for a list of some of the accepted forms of identification:

• State Issued Drivers License
• State Issued Identification Card
• Valid Passport
• Social Security Card
• Birth Certificate
• Military ID Card
• Military Dependent ID Card
• Divorce Papers
• Certificate of Marriage
• Baptismal Records
• Court Order
• School Records/Transcript (certified)
• Unemployment Card
• Adoption Papers
• Concealed Weapons Permit

Visit TSA Website